Center for Innovations in Quality, Effectiveness and Safety
Mental Illness Research, Education and Clinical Center (MIRECC)/Advanced Physician Fellowship
The MIRECC Advanced Physician Fellowship in Houston, Texas, offers a two-year fellowship program training future VA leaders for academic and research careers in a rapidly evolving health care arena by providing a firm foundation in mental health research, education, and clinical care. It offers three specialty tracks:
- Health Services Research: Trains researchers who are well-versed in the issues of access, utilization, outcomes, and effectiveness of geriatric mental health disorders.
- Clinical Psychopharmacology: Helps investigators translate discoveries in brain science into clinically effective treatments for brain-based illnesses like depression and bipolar disorder.
- Neuropsychiatry: Explores brain and behavior relationships in mental illness that influence their cause and treatment. Conditions such as anxiety disorders and complications of impulsivity, aggression, language, and mood disturbances are presently under study, but in principle this approach is applicable to a wide range of conditions.
- A paid full-time fellowship through the VA Office of Academic Affiliations.
- Financial support for books and research start-up funds.
- A two-year program cultivating expertise in VA mental health services research, administration, leadership, and clinical care.
- Research mentoring from a primary mentor and a team of mentors.
Current Postdoctoral Fellows:
- U.S. Citizenship
- M.D. degree
- Interest in mental health research
- Cover letter/statement of interest
- Three letters of recommendation, emailed directly to Dr. Kunik from the recommender
- Optional: Writing sample (e., first author publication, dissertation chapter)
- Deadline to submit application is December 1