Center for Innovations in Quality, Effectiveness and Safety
Health Professions Education Evaluation and Research (HPEER)
The Health Professions Education Evaluation and Research Fellowship in Houston, Texas offers two-year fellowship to physicians completing residency training as well as master’s level and doctorally prepared trainees. Fellows have the unique opportunity to lead change in healthcare quality through program implementation and evaluation, curriculum development and design, educational innovation and research. This advanced interdisciplinary program combines hands-on, experiential learning in improvement and implementation science with an individualized approach to meet the needs of each healthcare professional’s interests. Fellows also will receive interprofessional mentoring and gain exposure to a national network of experts in quality improvement and education. Post-doctoral PhDs (clinical and non-clinical), doctorally- trained clinicians such as nurses, psychologists, pharmacists and social workers, as well as physicians completing their residency training are encouraged to apply.
- A paid full-time fellowship (stipend plus books) through the VA Office of Academic Affiliations.
- A two-year program cultivating in expertise in development, implementation, and evaluation of a Core Curriculum centered on healthcare improvement and patient safety to a national audience of interprofessional post-doctoral fellows participating in the VA Quality Scholars (vaqs.org) program.
- Interprofessional mentoring on career development and education practicums resulting in scholarly products.
- Personalized training opportunities in education and healthcare improvement depending on your specific area of interest (i.e., instructional design, evaluation, distance- learning, curriculum development and implementation, educational research, interprofessional communication, collaboration and teamwork).
Current Postdoctoral Fellows:
- US Citizenship
- Doctoral degree
- MD candidates must:
- Have board eligibility (any specialty)
- Have completed clinical training prior to entering fellowship program
- Have a full medical license (or currently applying)
- Cover letter/statement of interest
- Three letters of recommendation
- Writing sample (e., first author publication, dissertation chapter)
- Deadline to submit application is December 1