Center for Innovations in Quality, Effectiveness and Safety
Big Data Scientist Training Enhancement Program (BD-STEP)
Junior-level physical scientist trainees from accredited programs in relevant disciplines (including engineering, chemistry, computer science, mathematics, and physics) are encouraged to apply to the advanced fellowship through participating sites. BD-STEP will draw on the expertise of these highly skilled data scientists-in-training to facilitate the execution of large-scale system changes in clinical care to expeditiously improve patient outcomes. BD-STEP matches trainees with VA medical centers across the country to leverage VA data systems, supporting clinically-relevant, two year training and research opportunities in collaboration with VA clinician scientists.
- A paid full-time fellowship (stipend plus books) through VA Office of Academic Affiliations and National Cancer Institute.
- Opportunities to access big data sets at the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center or through the VA Corporate Data Warehouse.
- Interprofessional mentoring and teamwork.
- Experience working within a healthcare system.
- Distance learning with data scientists and fellows at BD-STEP sites across the country.
Current Postdoctoral Fellows:
- US Citizenship
- Ph.D. in a physical science, engineering, or related discipline (to include chemistry, physics, engineering disciplines, computer science, statistics, and mathematics) from an accredited educational institution
- Experience in bioinformatics, modeling, or management of large data sets and demonstrate interest in big data clinical and health services research and healthcare improvement
- Cover letter/statement of interest
- Letter of support from academic mentor for postdoctoral research (existing or planned research relationship)
- Deadline to submit application is December 1