Center for Innovations in Quality, Effectiveness and Safety
Hardeep Singh, M.D., M.P.H.
Chief, Health Policy, Quality & Informatics Program, Center for Innovations in Quality, Effectiveness and Safety, Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center
Director, Houston DISCovery (Diagnosis Improvement Safety Center)
Professor, Department of Medicine, Section of Health Services Research, Baylor College of Medicine
Phone: 713-791-1414 ext. 10264
- Understanding and reducing diagnostic errors
- Use of health information technology to improve health care
- Safety of electronic health record implementation and use
- M.D., All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
- Residency, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
- M.P.H., Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Awards and Activities
- 2016 Veterans Affairs Health System Impact Award honoring research that significantly impacted clinical practice and policy (Singh and Houston DISCovery Team).
- Recipient of the 2012 Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers from President Barack Obama, April 2014. Click here to see Press Release
- Recipient of the AcademyHealth 2012 Alice S. Hersh New Investigator Award for high-impact work of international significance in the area of patient safety and diagnostic errors
- Recipient of a K23 research career development award from the National Institutes of Health, 2007-2012 & several federally funded research grants (RO1, R18, R21) from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality & Merit Reviews from the VHA
- Research informed several patient safety initiatives & policy reports, i.e., National Academy of Medicine, US Department of Health & Human Services, NQF, AMA, AHRQ, Organization for Economic Co-operation & Development, WHO
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal for Quality in Health Care (IJQHC), 2017-present
- Editorial Board Member, The Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety. 2017-present
- Co-Chair, Closing the Referral Loop Expert Panel, Institute for Healthcare Improvement. 2017
- Chair, ECRI Partnership for Health IT Patient Safety, “Health IT Safe Practices: Toolkit for the Safe Use of Health IT for Patient Identification”. 2017
- Nominated Member, National Quality Forum Improving Diagnostic Accuracy Committee 2016-2017
- Co-Chair, National Quality Forum HIT Patient Safety Expert Panel for the Prioritization and Identification of Health IT and Patient Safety Measures, 2015
- Elected Fellow of the American College of Medical Informatics (ACMI) for significant and sustained contributions and advancements in the field of biomedical informatics 2014
- Co-developed "ONC SAFER Guides" for safe and effective electronic health record use. Click here to go to HealthIT.gov link
- Co-developed national VA policy on diagnostic test results communication VHA Directive 1088
- Appointed by Secretary of Health and Human Services to the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Advisory Committee, 2013-2017 (advisory role to the Centers for Disease Control, Food and Drug Administration, and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services)
- Associate Editor, Diagnosis, 2013-present
Read Dr. Singh's editorial on defining diagnostic errors in Joint Commission Resources: Journal on Quality and Patient Safety © Joint Commission Resources: , 2014, 99-101. Reprinted with permission.
*This link will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs Web site and will open in a new window. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of linked Web sites.