Center for Innovations in Quality, Effectiveness and Safety
Hardeep Singh, M.D., M.P.H.
Chief, Health Policy, Quality & Informatics Program, Center for Innovations in Quality, Effectiveness and Safety, Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center
Director, VA Center of Inquiry to Improve Outpatient Safety through Effective Electronic Communication
Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, Section of Health Services Research, Baylor College of Medicine
Email: email@example.com (for VA business)
Phone: 713-791-1414 ext. 10264
- Understanding and reducing diagnostic errors in the ambulatory care setting, especially those that involve missed and delayed cancer diagnosis
- Use of health information technology to identify and reduce diagnostic errors
- Patient safety related to electronic health record implementation and use
- M.D., All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
- Residency, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
- M.P.H., Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Awards and Activities
- Co-Chair, National Quality Forum HIT Patient Safety Expert Panel for the Prioritization and Identification of Health IT and Patient Safety Measures, 2015
- Elected Fellow of the American College of Medical Informatics (ACMI) for significant and sustained contributions and advancements in the field of biomedical informatics 2014
- Recipient of the 2012 Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers from President Barack Obama, April 2014. Click here to see Press Release.
- Appointed by Secretary of Health and Human Services to the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Advisory Committee, 2013-2017 (advisory role to the Centers for Disease Control, Food and Drug Administration, and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services)
- Recipient of the AcademyHealth 2012 Alice S. Hersh New Investigator Award for high-impact work of international significance in the area of patient safety and diagnostic errors.
- Recipient of a K23 research career development award from the NIH, 2007-2012 and several federally funded research grants from the VA and AHRQ
- Patient safety and informatics work heavily cited in several national policy reports, including the AMA report, "Research in Ambulatory Patient Safety, 2000-2010: A 10-year Review" (9 papers) and the 2011 Institute of Medicine Health IT Safety report "Health IT and Patient Safety: Building Safer Systems for Better Care" (4 papers).
- Co-developed "ONC SAFER Guides" for safe and effective electronic health record use under a contract with Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT. Guides were disseminated nationally in January 2014. Click here to go to HealthIT.gov link.
- Committee Co-Chair, VHA Ordering and Reporting Test Results Directive Revision Work Group, 2013-present
- Associate Editor, Diagnosis, 2013-present
Read Dr. Singh's editorial on defining diagnostic errors in Joint Commission Resources: Journal on Quality and Patient Safety © Joint Commission Resources: , 2014, 99-101. Reprinted with permission.
*This link will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs Web site and will open in a new window. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of linked Web sites.